We couldn’t wait any longer for our usual Thursday drop, especially seeing we’ve been quiet on Â the WooCommerce front the last few weeks with Mike and Jay coding up an absolute storm in their bunker in the UK! With that said we are HUGELY excited about today’s release of WooCommerce 1.4!
Version 1.4 is perhaps not a massively exciting release for the end-user, but for developers it’s a biggy.Â We’ve re-written large chunks of code, made all round refinements to the plugin for our plans going forward, and optimisedÂ performance levels. Of course we’ve added some more bells and whistles too, but a lot of the changes are under the hood.
- Support for multiple and stacked (compound) taxes
- Multiple taxes shown in order total tables
- Option to re-order shipping methods
- Category widget improvements – ‘order by option’ and an option to show current children only
- Added local pickup and local delivery shipping methods (thanks Patrick Garman)
- International shipping method (based on flat rate)
- Locale options for country address formatting and checkout fields
- Random products widget, thanks to Geert De Deckere
Front-end + Theming Optimizations
For designers and developers using WooCommerce you’ll find 1.4 specifically useful for a number of reasons:
- Improved default theme
- Moved many shortcodes (contents) to template files for easier customisation
- Added a simple, basic method of adding woocommerce support to themes using a woocommerce.php file based on page.php containing woocommerce_content()
- Coupon entry form on checkout (optional)
- If there is limited stock, quantity input plus button won’t go higher
- ‘Chosen’ selects for country/state select inputs (optional) – a great script for improving usability
Backend + Integration
- Admin interface improvements
- Piwik tracking – requires http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-piwik/
- Option to ‘Delete all variations’
- Tweaked visibility settings and made them more clear
- Added address meta to users panel
- Added address data to edit users screen
- Enabled product custom fields panel
If you choose to not read any of the below, read this – we’ve made many minor fixes and improvements.
- Renamed custom fields for product data – upgrade script will run when upgrading. Some themes may be affected if using ‘featured’ – it is now ‘_featured’
- Change textdomain from woothemes to woocommerce
- Shipping method classes/api changed to make rate definition simpler – shipping methods will need updating to stay compatible
- Improved roles and capabilities for WooCommerce pages – more caps added for easier configuration
- Rewritten parts + re-organised files for increased performance and decreased memory usage
- Reworked checkout fields to make them easier to extend
- paying_customer user meta when order is complete
- Moved template function contents to template files
- Made ‘product’ global, and auto filled when calling the_post – also remove this from the hooks. Certain themes may need to be updated.
- Filters for customer email attachments
More payment gateway extensions
Last, but certainly not least we have 2 more payment gateway extensions available as of today, with some big extensions in the pipeline nearly ready.
The MercadoPago gateway plugin allows to offer your clients any payment method supported by MercadoPago, including credit card, Pago FÃƒÂ¡cil / Rapipago and much more. MercadoPago is the payment gateway behind MercadoLibre, the largest e-commerce provider in Latin America.Find out more about this extension
Moneris processes more than 3 billion credit and debit card transactions a year, for over 350,000 merchant locations across North America.
Moneris is primarily used by Canadian merchants looking to accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and AMEX through a wide variety of options.Find out more about this extension