WooThemes themes now on ThemeForest

March 26, 2013 in Blog.

The WordPress themes space sure is an exciting and interesting space to be working in, with new theme shops opening their doors on a daily basis. Along with this, arose a need for theme marketplaces, where theme shops can showcase their products to a wide audience, purchasing from a collective catalog, of sorts. ThemeForest is one of the biggest players (if not the biggest) in this field.

Today, we’d like to announce that WooThemes themes are now also available for purchase via ThemeForest.

It has been almost exactly 2 years since our previous foray into selling on ThemeForest, selling Drupal and ExpressionEngine themes. Since then, much has changed within WooThemes, as well as in the WordPress themes space (and at ThemeForest).

We feel there are many of our existing customers, as well as some potential new customers, who are already purchasing items within the Envato Marketplaces. These customers have established a process for themselves by which they purchase the multiple assets they will be using on a project (for example, a theme, stock photography, graphics and code snippets). We feel this is of benefit to existing customers who are also on ThemeForest, as well as showcasing WooThemes to a new audience.

Today, we’re launching this offering with the following themes available for purchase:

• Canvas

• Editorial
  • Kaboodle
  • Statua
  • Premiere
  • Delicious Magazine

Browse our catalog on ThemeForest

Products, licenses, GPL, oh my!

Envato approached WooThemes a couple months back when they were exploring the option to offer a 100% GPL licensing as an option to their authors – knowing WooThemes is a proud GPL advocate. They wanted to make a big splash with this announcement and we are honoured they chose us as their official launch partner.

WooThemes is the first theme provider to offer fully GPL licensed themes on ThemeForest. Rest assured, the theme purchase, whether from ThemeForest or from WooThemes.com, retains the same fully GPL license.

What happens when I purchase from ThemeForest?

Customers who purchase WooThemes themes via their ThemeForest account are still WooThemes customers. You will be provided with the same love, care and attention we provide our direct-purchase customers with, as well as the support package we offer.

How do I redeem my purchase?

We’ve made this process as easy and painless as possible.

1. When purchasing a WooThemes theme from ThemeForest, you’ll receive a purchase code in your e-mail inbox. This will come directly from ThemeForest.
  2. Once received, you’d then either login to your existing WooThemes account (if you have one) or register for a new WooThemes account.
  3. Once at your “My Account” screen on WooThemes.com, click the “Redeem ThemeForest Purchase” button and enter your purchase code into the field provided.
  4. That’s all there is to it! You should now see your ThemeForest purchase on your “My Account” screen, as well as have access to support for the purchased products.

We look forward to seeing how this launch fits into your workflows and, to new customers who arrive with ThemeForest purchases… welcome!

WooCommerce Bookings

40 Responses

1. cham
    26 March 2013 at 4:48 pm #

Thanks a lot for this move. I’m your former affiliate and I thought I lost all my efforts when you said, you discontinued your affiliate program. Now, I have a new way to promote your awesome themes.

2. Fred
    26 March 2013 at 5:59 pm #

Interesting, but why would you sell through another website and discount your pricing? Doesn’t make much sense when you offer the same theme and service through your competition.

• James Koster
      26 March 2013 at 6:01 pm #

It’s not quite the same. If you purchase at woo.com you get 2 free themes, remember.

• Fred
        26 March 2013 at 6:30 pm #

Right I do remember, I haven’t been using Woo because I like a more simple shopping solution (service offerings) and WooCommerce, as awesome as it is, is just too much work for selling a few items. If I had lots of things to sell I’d probably use it again.

• GeeksOnTheGo
          29 March 2013 at 11:01 pm #

Fred,

What shopping solution are you using?

• Jason
        26 March 2013 at 8:59 pm #

You might want to actually own woo.com before you go telling people to buy from there ;)

3. Guilio Del Fava
    26 March 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Themeforest has a very high standard when it comes to themes. I think Woothemes designed themes lack a bit of polish. Their lack of shortcodes is a big reason I do not buy their themes at all. The discounted pricing is a good move, as their themes are very overpriced.

• JestersTear
      26 March 2013 at 6:44 pm #

I think what you mean to say is that ThemeForest has a very high quantity of themes bloated with all sorts of functionality that would better be served with the use of plugins. I, for one, am rather glad to see more themes on ThemeForest without the bloat.

• cajebo
        26 March 2013 at 10:08 pm #

I totally agree with Jesters.

I would add that this will raise the bar for the majority of theme-devs here at ThemeForest.

For example: WooThemes total support of child-themes is something very sorely missing from a number of themes sold on themeforest.

I’d name a few, but the list would be too long.

And, to be sure, I’m not bashing, I’m a multi-year user/purchaser of items from the EE (Envato Empire) and in doing so have saved countless hours in abeyance of wheel-reinventing. I’m simply stating there’s definitely a new pro-player now on the field.

• Adii Pienaar
      26 March 2013 at 10:08 pm #

Heck, if more shortcodes are what you want; then we’re obviously not the solution for you. :)

• Ryan Ray
        26 March 2013 at 11:51 pm #

There’s a plugin for that!

Almost rolls off the tongue like, “There’s an app for that!” :P

4. Wish
    26 March 2013 at 10:48 pm #

We don’t need more shortcodes only, but we need more google fonts, custom widgets, social buttons, retina support, 3d slider, rating/review system, homepage builder too. For the same price.

• Adii Pienaar
      27 March 2013 at 9:29 am #

We don’t believe in bloating our themes with those kind of features. :)

• anagio
        8 April 2013 at 9:55 am #

I’m very satisfied with Canvas, and the other woo themes i’ve purchased. I would not want to see Canvas or any other woo theme bloated with features they do not need.

With Canvas, since we use it so often. We added a theme option to set the header and or footer to 100% full width. If that were built in like the page layout options, it would make developing just a little quicker. But it’s short work as it is to move it whenever needed.

Bloated themes are like all you can eat buffets, while Woo Themes are a 3 michelin star restaurant.

I’m hungry, time for breakfast, where’s Canvas 6.0? lol

• James Koster
      27 March 2013 at 11:40 am #

Our latest themes have retina support. We just don’t shout about it because it’s a pretty lame ‘feature’.

• Community
        8 April 2013 at 12:59 pm #

ouch.. the way you guys are talking about the other products on Themeforest is harsh.

Those ‘bloated’ features actually take time to develop. The developers dont waste their time, customers want these things, and templates that have them.. sell

not the friendliest way to approach a new community..

mind you, I have just read their forums and they dont seem to be welcoming you with open arms either.

5. Norsoft
    26 March 2013 at 11:31 pm #

“Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for..”

Still their unreasonable licenses make their offerings pretty much useles. Dont even know if their regular license is in line with gpl. Maby since it is also licensed under gpl the regular license as it is stated now is void.

• Japh
      27 March 2013 at 1:22 am #

Hi Norsoft,

If you check Section 13(b) of the ThemeForest Regular License you’ll see that, as you say, if the author has chosen the 100% GPL option then the rest of the Regular License doesn’t apply, only the GPL.

6. italiafirenze
    27 March 2013 at 1:01 am #

Please don’t listen to these people who want bloated themes stuffed with crap nobody wants or needs. Stick to what you’re doing, I like the testimonials and features plugins because they’re integrated if you want them.

So much of ThemeForest is rubbish, WooThemes will up the ante.

• James Koster
      27 March 2013 at 11:47 am #

Bloating our themes out with functionality is the last thing we intend to do. In fact, we mean to do the opposite :-)

• lucifer666
        31 March 2013 at 4:54 am #

You just need a Team Plugin, Portfolio Plugin and a Promotions Widget (Dojo) and your Contact Form MUST include a phone number for all themes and I am one happy (er) camper

7. Matt
    27 March 2013 at 3:44 am #

What are shortcodes….

• Mark Forrester
      27 March 2013 at 1:14 pm #

docs.woothemes.com/document/shortcodes/

8. Bradly
    27 March 2013 at 3:53 am #

Hi,

How much your rate on themeforest for non-exclusive author? You have got 33% or more?

thanks

• Adii Pienaar
      27 March 2013 at 9:31 am #

We think we’re special & the Envato guys loves us. That doesn’t necessarily mean we’re getting any preferential treatment though. :)

9. pedro67
    27 March 2013 at 3:10 pm #

big challenge. Themeforest is way cheaper – most wp themes are USD 45,- Most of them with stunning design and superfast support from the developer.

You guys had a nice framework – I used it with a lot of themes but tempus fugit. There is much more innovation, full sized designs, awesome sliders and really nice backends out there on Themeforest.

I do not really think you can compeed with design there. Maybe 3-4 themes are ok. Themeforest is new school but it is maybe (and I really hope this happens) a good “wake-up” for Woo.

Right now I am changing one by one client page to other “non Woo” versions, because I am not willing to pay anymore a monthly developer fee. The last theme I really used was a year ago.

sorry guys

• Rickard
      28 March 2013 at 3:38 am #

I would not say Themeforest themes are cheaper. Not even their extended license is “multi-use” so even if you pay $2000 you must return to buy a new license if you want the theme you bought on another client site.

The main difference is that many of the themes on Themeforest features the revolution slider. The drag and drop functionality for layers and the ease of adding text overlays makes the themes stand out but hopefully woothemes are working on similar functionality for their slider.

Most other functionality can easily be added using Toolset and something like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-bootstrap-css/ so it really does not matter that much any more what theme is used and what functionality is built in with the theme.

What matters is that whatever theme or plugin you buy you also should get a license for lifetime automatic updates on unlimited sites. Good support is also nice to have when things stop working.

• Chris
        29 March 2013 at 2:25 am #

> Not even their extended license is “multi-use”

This is false. Woo’s themes are under Envato’s GPL license. Under GPL, there is no restriction on the number of sites you can use it on. The restriction is the number of sites Woo has to provide you with support, if you need it, for.

10. Erwin van Ginkel
    27 March 2013 at 11:36 pm #

Personally I think it would be healthy in the long term if Themeforest has more serious competitors. Have you considered to offer your themes for sale on a smaller and newer marketplace like http://creativemarket.com?

11. Bharath
    28 March 2013 at 5:29 pm #

I thought you guys will start a new market place for WordPress themes in near future. With the potential, staff and resources you have its easy to establish one in less span of time. But to my surprise, I came across your themes on Envato’s market place. Affiliate marketers will consider this as a 2nd chance to promotes your themes. All the best.

12. pedro67
    29 March 2013 at 3:31 pm #

no comments – no sales at Themeforest. This confirms my recent post.

I just checked a few themes. The most sales had Canvas (which is really a good theme) with 3 sales. The others 0 or sometimes 1 sale.

Let´s watch it for some more time and maybe you will have to realize that we do not think that your templates are “awesome” and everybody was just waiting for it. That was some time ago. Sadly. I was a fan of Woo from the very beginning.

WooCommerce is brilliant! Really. But your themes are pricy and not looking stylish anymore.

Think what you can do instead of making the conversation like Apple does – they also do not listen to the people

13. Laura
    29 March 2013 at 10:59 pm #

Could you consider making a theme where the blog is on the main page, like for a fan site? Would love to buy a theme.

• Magnus
      1 April 2013 at 2:10 pm #

You can set the blog as your main page in all our themes through WP Settings > Reading.

• Laura
        1 April 2013 at 8:14 pm #

I know but the blog part doesn’t have as much graphics as the main page, but I really want the blog part to be on the main page underneath the slider like on Athena.

14. sweetbeats
    7 April 2013 at 1:39 pm #

Laura you probably need to edit the homepage so it shows blog posts, I think that’s what you’re thinking of? It’s not actually the blog, it’s just the homepage showing blog posts?

15. Saurabh Hooda
    10 April 2013 at 8:58 am #

Rarely do i see some amicable solution when two waring fronts (especially when they are big organizations). I am glad you proved to be an exception. Am sure this will spread right signals across the web :)

16. Dan Riefstahl
    12 April 2013 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks Erwin for the link to Creative Market. I know Theme Forrest is dominant in this area, but what a rip off. Getting 33% for non-exclusive is pretty much robbing us.

17. Christopher Anderton
    23 April 2013 at 8:51 pm #

The ongoing discussion about GPL at the Themeforest forums is making me sad.

18. James D.
    24 April 2013 at 10:47 pm #

I love woocommerce and themeforest.. amazing news for future. I’ve paid a system over $5000 a few months ago. And now I saw a way much better system at themeforest today. It says this is using woocommerce http://themeforest.net/item/imenu-restaurant-tablet-and-mobile-retina-menu/4476761

If I haven’t paid $5000 for some other system I would definitely buy this system with woocomerce
    Woocommerce is so powerfull. Thank you everyone!